Hello dear reader?
How are you on this fine October day? Here it has become rather cloudy and rained a bit each day, though it is still quite hot and humid.
As promised, I'm writing to you about the holy days. Now, these explanations are rather vague and do no justice to the goings on. So, you'll have to forgive me, as I am still learning.
First there is Rosh Hashanna. It's the Jewish new year. Of course school is out, people are off work, and there is lots of food, friends, family and fun. One tradition during this time is eating apples with honey (I suppose you could compare it to the tradition of some in America of eating black-eyed peas at New Year's...but I like this tradition better.)
Following this, there are 10 days until Yom Kippur. These 10 days of awe, though "regular work days", are set aside to contemplate one's life.
And then there is Yom Kippur-the day of atonement. This is the day that Jews plead with God to forgive them for the sins of the passed year, that he might write down their name in the Book of Life. Interestingly enough, the entire country (the jewish part) stops for this day. No one drives-whether you're ultra orthodox or secular. Most people fast all day, not even drinking water. It is definitely a day unlike any other, set apart unto itself.
After Yom Kippur comes Sukkot-the feast of booths/tabernacles. Families make sukkah's outside (they're a covered, three wall structure) and decorate them with lights and hanging decorations (I was jokingly told that it's kind of like decorating a christmas tree.) Some people even sleep in their sukkahs (which is what you're supposed to do). This is a time of celebration. A time of family and friends. And it's a whole week (although three days in the middle are "regular work days").
Some of these traditions may seem strange and other worldly to non-jews. However, I'm coming to find they only make sense. Why not celebrate holidays God himself set aside? He knew/knows people need a new year, a fresh start. A day for reflection and repentance. And time to celebrate and give thanks. A time to be in awe of God.
No comments:
Post a Comment