Monday, August 6, 2012

Just a Taste

Hello there, dear reader. I know it has been a while since I've last written, but I've been busy since the minute I landed in Israel.

This last week I spent helping with a children's camp for all the congregations in this network. The camp was wonderful, and the kids seemed to grasp the theme for the week: planting seeds, growing, producing fruit. However, I have no "awesome camp stories for you". I can't tell you if any of the kids made a decision or had some sort of an "ah-ha" moment in their lives. Why is this? Because my job at the camp was completely under the radar. I was the camp nanny. Basically there had been a few minor problems when it came to gathering camp counselors/leaders for this year. Many of the families in this community stepped up to take on leadership positions. Naturally, then, they had some kids who just weren't old enough to be in the camp, but who had to be there anyway. So, I spent most of my week chasing around a 4 year old and a six year old-playing in the water, taking them to the pool, getting them ready for bed, and playing a game called "spiders", meaning I tickle them as much as possible. Sometimes I think I have to have an actual title or position in order to validate who I am and what I am doing. I forget that Yeshua doesn't call me to validation. He calls me to be a servant, to be obedient. For the least of these. That was the vision he gave me when I groaned (ever so slightly) about having to be a nanny, and not getting to be as "involved" as I felt I should be. And yet, when I saw those little kids again after the camp they were so excited to see me. And when I tried to leave the building, they wouldn't let go. 

So now what are you doing? I suppose this question comes from a good place when someone asks. But, honestly, I'm to the point where I want to kick them in the shin. Honestly, right now is pretty much day-to-day living. I may or may not know what the next day holds. It's kind of like the validation issue I spoke of earlier...because I should have to put a label on this, right? If I can't give it a name or a title or a brief synopsis, it's not right? Wrong. 
I am called to love people. I am called to build relationships. I am called to observe and take in the parts of people no one notices. Whether it's volunteering in a congregation putting up camp stuff or helping with the daily household stuff where I'm staying, I am called to just be whatever they need.

When I was in my college lifegroup, we'd play a game called highs and lows. It's not really a "game", it's an opportunity to talk about your day-the high point, the low point-a time to be vulnerable so as to receive encouragement. So, let's play.
High: Yesterday I took a bus...by myself! Now, to some of you, that may not sound like such a big deal, but to a girl who grew up in a place where there was no public transportation this is a very terrifying experience. But, I did it! And I felt like superwoman!
Low: I just feel inadequate. How in the world am I supposed to meet these people where they are? And, am I "doing the right thing", even though I can't put a label on it? Validation. Fear. That's what it comes down to.
Please continue to pray for victories, even in the small areas like public transportation. They are extremely encouraging, and pave the way for even bigger victories.
Pray against fear and inadequacy, because he knew what he was getting into when he called me. He knew it, and he called me out of the boat to walk on the water anyway. Pray against the need to validate, because his grace really is sufficient.

That's all for now. It's only just a taste of what is to come. And, hopefully, what is to come will include pictures very soon:)

"I took you from the ends of the earth, from it's farthest corners I called you. I said, 'You are my servant; I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you, do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.'"

1 comment:

  1. While I may not be a "kiryat" away, know I am thinking about you and praying for the day to day steps you are taking! You are being the hands and feet of Yeshua and for that no title is big enough to encompass all the kingdom work you are privilege to be a part of! Blessings friend!

    ReplyDelete