Sunday, October 21, 2012

Just Be

Hello reader.
I suppose I have been a bit MIA since my last writing. And this may be my last blog while I'm across the pond. Once I hit the 2 week mark of my time left in Israel, I have definitely been trying to make the most of it. So, I have been trying to fill my days with people that I am closest to here...to do life, to just be.

I have also had several interesting experiences in the passed week. 
I attended a Friday evening service at an orthodox synagogue. It was extremely interesting. Men sit in the floor seating, while the women sit in the balcony. Women are also hidden by a veil of lace, which they can see through but the men cannot. The service consists of readings of prayers from the Siddur. Most of the prayers in the book are straight from scripture, and are sung. There are a few men which trade off in leading the prayers. There are certain prayers in which the people stand, and certain prayers in which they sit. And, of course, one would have a very different experience depending on gender. Honestly, I find it quite beautiful, and not just because of the singing. There is something quite powerful about praying scripture, and even more so hearing it chanted/sung in it's original language. I would definitely recommend going to anyone...whether you visit one in the states or Israel.
I had lunch with a family in Akko by the sea. Now this experience isn't totally out of the ordinary, but I must make note of it because of the family and because of the fish I ate. Yes. The fish. It was the very first time I have ever eaten a fish with the head attached. Not to mention this fish had teeth, so it seemed to be smiling (or snarling) at me. The little girls in the family had great fun working up the courage to touch the eyes and the teeth. And still even more fun when I proceeded to make the fish talk to them. About these girls, and the family they belong to, they're all wonderful. Yeshua has really used them to bring me out of myself...and to also not be so much afraid of being around young children.
Walks on the beach at night. Seemingly so insignificant, but one of the best things to do here in the company of those you care about. The sea during the day is spectacular, but there's nothing quite like it at night. The waves moving slowly up the beach as the tide comes in, the moon rising and lighting the depths, and the tiny lights of the boats as they move along the water. I've been able to have several deep conversations with people in this setting. It seems to help people open up.
If you'll recall one of my posts from way earlier in this trip about a young girl I talked to at a youth group meeting, I'm happy to say they she and I finally got to spend some one-on-one time. It was really good. Getting to talk about parts of our lives that we hadn't shared with each other, getting to talk about God and what he's doing in our hearts. More and more I'm convinced that there's is something starting, awakening in the youth and young adults of this country.

Now, with less than a week for me to be here, I turn my thoughts to returning to the states. 
I have so many people I'm ready to see. 
I have so many unanswered questions.
I have hopes and dreams.
I have a really long travel stretch ahead. 
I have people here that I have to leave for a time.
It's extremely hard to turn my thoughts in this direction. Please, hear me when I say, that I'm so incredibly excited to get to see family and friends.
To get to catch up with people face-to-face, and eat some of my mom's food and listen to my dad's jokes. 
To be able to, in the flesh, pick on my siblings, and spend time with my grandparents.
To be able to hug my some of my dearest friends. 
But, there is part of me that will stay here in Israel. There is a part of me that will be extremely restless in the states...even after the reverse culture shock wears off.
All this to say, to those of you in the states-I will see you soon. And to those of you in this tiny country on the Mediterranean-I will see you again.


2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I can't wait to see you and I can't wait to be back in Israel with you some day. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beloved! I cannot wait to talk heart to heart with you about your time in Israel! My heart has been longing for you for the past few weeks, dear friend! I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete