As if my previous blog post isn't enough of a spirit lifter, there is another story to go along with what happened this week. This one, for me, hits a little closer to home.
In my group, there was a young boy named Aaron (yes, the one that was obsessed with foosball). If you'll recall, in the blog post before, I'd mentioned that I asked the boys all kinds of fun questions to try and get them to open up. One question that stuck was "if you could have one super power, what would it be and why?' One boy said he wanted to breathe under water, one said he wanted super human strength-you get the idea. But Aaron...Aaron said he wanted superhuman speed...because he was always slower than other kids...slower and smaller and, perhaps, even picked on a bit. It broke my heart. In this one answer to one silly question, this young boy had just laid bare a piece of his heart. Jesus, how do I handle this? How do I show him that he is so much more than a small, insignificant little boy?
Of course, if you read the before blog, you know that I planned a lesson around foosball-which the boys loved. You also know that I gave them each a foosball at the end, and that each ball had their name, the meaning of their name, and a verse on it.
What you don't know is the significance of the names. We had been studying about Simon-Peter. One of the lessons was that Simon was given the name Peter by Jesus. A name change in the Bible is significant, especially when it comes from God. I believe that it is Him calling to our inner being as part of the process of being made into what He would have us to be.
What you don't know it that Jesus was already telling these boys what He thinks about them through the names they were given when they were born. And, perhaps, the most significant of these was Aaron's name. His name, as best as I could find, translates from Hebrew to mean "strength of the mountain". The boy who thinks he is slower and smaller has a name that is bigger and stronger. Jesus has been speaking strength and power over him since his birth...with just a name. When I told him the meaning of his name, he seemed shocked. I'm not sure if he really understands the great significance of this, but he will one day.
How many times have I been in a situation where I feel that I am insignificant or unworthy or useless? Sometimes, it's only looking as far as my name to realize that I am a daughter. That I am valued. He sees me. Sometimes, it's asking the Lord what He calls me. He calls me by my given name much of the time, but every once in a while He will give me a name with a meaning that connects to that place in me that is feeling less than. He calls to my inner being, and strengthens me.
"Forgiven, Beloved, Hidden in Christ, Made in the image of the Giver of Life
Righteous and Holy, Reborn and Remade, Accepted and Worthy-this is our new name. This is who we are now."-I Am New, Jason Gray
No comments:
Post a Comment