Here's how this is gonna work-I'll divide the books into categories and give some info on them, as well as my opinion as to why it's a must read.
Non-fiction
1) Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis. I read this book about 2 weeks ago, and it is still fresh on my mind. I read it in one day. It's about a normal American girl who feels a call to missions in Uganda. It talks about her journey to where she is now. And if you like this book, she even has a blog that she writes on every once in a while.
2) Five Chimneys: a woman survivor's story of Auschwitz by Olga Lengyel. I like to read stories from the Holocaust. This is not because I'm sadistic, or that I enjoy reading grueling material. I have a love for history (specifically WW2 and the American Civil War eras). This book is about a woman who survives the terrible odds at Auschwitz. The writing is not all grammatically correct, but the story is raw and powerful. The writer does not bother to sugar coat the happenings within the camp. I even learned some things that I never knew, and I've read quite a few biographies on this subject. This is why I recommend it. In a world where some deny that the Holocaust ever happened, I believe it is important to keep the legacy of those who endured it alive. We will only learn from our history if we acknowledged it happened.
3) Surprised by the Power of the Spirit by Jack Deere. Do you want to challenge your faith and grow immensely, even during these summer months? I would absolutely read this book. I was introduced to it at the church I attended while I was in college. I know, some of you will research this book and say, "Really? You really want me to read this?!" Yes, I do. I was a skeptic too. But the cool thing is, you can read your Bible along with it. The cool thing is, Holy Spirit can and will speak if you only let Him.
4) The Slumber of Christianity by Ted Dekker. In this book, Dekker explores the slumber that most believers are in. He uses personal stories and well as examples from his writing to really draw the reader in.
5) Tea with Hezbola by Ted Dekker. Get ready for meetings with Jews and Arabs alike. Get ready for some very real, very raw conversations and opinions.
6) Your People Shall Be My People by Don Finto. Does God still love Israel? Should I care about Israel, and if so, why? These questions and many more are answered in this book. Finto is very direct, using Biblical facts as well as historical facts to speak about God's heart for his beloved people.
Fiction
1) Blessed Child by Ted Dekker. If you haven't already noticed, I'm a Ted Dekker fan. This is probably my favorite book by him. It's about a young boy who grows up in a monastery knowing no evil at all. This book has a breathtaking outlook on life and love. It challenges believers to walk in the Spirit.
2) Demon: a memoir by Tosca Lee. This book is about an editor/writer who is approached by a demon who wants his story told. I know what you're thinking, "Lame. Just lame." Trust me, you don't wanna miss this. The demon tells the story from the very beginning, even before. It also does not hide it's feelings towards man. Trust me, it has an ending you'll not even guess.
3) The Veritas Conflict by Shaunti Feldhaun. This is the story of a young girl who goes off to college. It talks about the fight for the hearts and minds of her and her fellow students. Yes, it's a regular good/evil, life/death, light/dark battle. It's wonderful.
4) The Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker. If you know who Ted Dekker is, you know he doesn't mess around when it comes to writing his books. Sadly, some people tend to see his writing as "too dark". However, if you read his non-fiction book (listed above), you will find why he doesn't sugar coat darkness in his books. This series gave me a new lease on my salvation. It's interesting to hear the story told through another time and space. Not too mention, it's jam-packed full of action and twists you'll never see coming.
5) The Chronicles of Narnia. This is almost a "duh". Let me just say that I read these before the movies and before the hype. Let me also say, they are still relevant to me being a young adult. I can't reread them without finding something new.
6) The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and The Hobbit. All good. All action packed and full of adventure.
More to Do
Now, I'm not completely blinded by my love for books. I realize that there are people who don't like to read. Even those of us who do still like to do something different once in a while. So, here are some other things you should definitely check out:
1) The Glory Within. This is a youtube mini-sermon by Corey Russell. Again, be prepared to be challenged. And, if this stuff is weird to you upon watching, I suggest you read the book I suggested in the non-fiction section-Surprised by the Power of the Spirit.
2) Any sermon podcasts by Matt Chandler (Pastor of the Village Church) or David McQueen (Pastor of Beltway Park Baptist Church). These podcasts are free on iTunes:)
3) International House of Prayer. This is out of Kansas. They have a website where you can find sermons, podcasts, music and live feed to a 24-hour prayer room. It's legit. Get you some.
I realize this blog hasn't been very heart revealing...or has it? These books and the other things are pretty near and dear to my heart. Holy Spirit has definitely used each one in it's own way to help shape who I am today. I hope you take the time to read at least one or two of these. And I hope that if you find you don't like one, that it won't cause you to be turned off in trying the others. Blessings on your reading and seeking:)
“We Christian writers (musicians, lovers of Truth, etc.)* must paint evil with the blackest of brushes, not to sow fear, but to call out the monsters to be scattered by our light. If Satan cloaks himself as an angel of white, intent on deceiving the world, any attempt on our parts to minimize evil is only complicit with his strategy... Turn to the light; don’t fear the shadows it creates.” -Ted Dekker
*words in parenthesis added by me
No comments:
Post a Comment